So as I missed last month this is a sort of catch up post!
I have managed to do a bit of planting, most of which was done in mid July. I put in broad beans, cauliflower, and baby beets. All were bought as seedlings, some from our local organic markets, (Orange Grove) and some from the nursery. I also bought a kaffir lime tree from the markets.
|These are my broad beans and cauliflowers after planting.|
|Lovely snow peas flowering away -and some of the peas themselves|
|My first ever snow pea ready to harvest|
Broad beans also look good, flowering away and have grown much bigger. No beans yet but I'm sure they're coming.
|The broad bean flowers are quite lovely.|
|Trying to be arty aerial view of the broad beans - but it means you can't see really how well they've grown|
The pak choi has been half/half - two seedlings bolted straight to seed and are now flowering away - the other two are looking like we need to cook some stir fries!
|Look at the pak choi go!|
|Need to get eating the spinach|
Other vegies that have still been providing this month are my never ending rocket plant - the more we pick, the more we get!
Some of the celery I planted ages ago is still going strong.
Coriander has gone a bit to seed but there are still quite a few good plants, and the other herbs - oregano, mint, thyme, rosemary - are still ticking along. I also put in a pineapple sage so will see how that turns out.
When we got back from our holiday I discovered the broccolettes had all gone to seed, so they have been pulled out. Likewise my chilli plants I decided to pull out as they had gone pretty straggly. The garlic were looking a bit brown, which may have been from lack of water (I went away and had assumed it would rain enough to water my garden - luckily nothing died but I probably should have arranged some watering!) and the lemon tree is looking like it needs a bit of fertiliser.
|Bit of a mess - but broccolettes gone to seed, coriander also heading that way, the never ending rocket and some chives hidden in there too.|
|The garlic plants are still going well.|
I had to conclude my potato in a bag experiment as all the plants had died. I think a variety of factors played a part in this failed effort - probably not enough sun as I had in my back courtyard, which gets very little direct sun. Also I have a bad habit of neglecting the back yard and focussing on the front, so I may not have watered often enough. And when I just dug out the bag I discovered the top soil was quite dry but the bottom soil was quite muddy and almost clay like, so I suspect the drainage in the bag was not sufficient. So for my 4+ months of effort I only have 3 small chats and some tiny easter egg sized potatoes! On the plus side, the soil in the bag was full of worms and will now be stored until I can use it for some more planting in spring.
|The grand total of my potato experiment. Not exactly successful.|
|Very blurry but we're hardly going to be self sufficient at this rate!|