Of course I asked how was I supposed to do that, and Grandma just said - "put them in a pot" like it was the easiest thing in the world.
So I brought them home.
I dug some of my best compost out of the compost heap, and filled up five pots.
Then I placed a few stems in each pot, and filled them with compost.
Three of my pots with my lovely compost.
The blue hydrangeas in the pots.
Unfortunately, I ran across a few problems - namely extreme heavy rain for a few days, followed by some of the hottest days in January (around 40 degrees). Well, that is my excuse for why the experiment failed miserably.
However, one saving grace - from my compost some very healthy tomato plants have sprung up in my pots, so at least I will be able to salvage something!
All that is left of the experiment - rather healthy looking tomato plants but not a hydrangea to be seen!